Thursday, August 22, 2013

AAJ Instructors (part two)

In my last post, I highlighted two of the AAJ Retreat instructors who will be teaching at the February 2014 gatheringAlbie Smith and Katie Kendrick.  Completing the lineup of 2014 instructors are Stephanie Lee, DJ Pettitt and co-instructors Danielle Daniel and Mindy Lacefield.


Stephanie is returning to AAJ for the third time and I couldn't be more pleased.  I've been trying like mad to recall where/when we first met, but all I know is that it seems like I've known her for a very long time.  She's an old soul, so maybe we've passed this way before!  She's honest, fun, insanely artistic, and forthright; all traits that I deeply admire.  We worked together as instructor/organizer for years, but I really got to know her better when we spent time at a small retreat in Salt Lake City five years ago.  Chatting and riding (around and around and around) through town on the free shuttle; making bezels for the first time in her class; and roaring with laughter over stories told at night upstairs at the big art table are memories forever etched in my mind.  For AAJ, she's developed a special class that fits in beautifully with the sacred nature of the venue.  The class description here is so beautifully written; I just know it's going to be a very memorable workshop.

Vision Quest:  Symbols of Passage

Vision Quest:  Symbols of Passage

I'm super excited to welcome new instructors to the Journey, co-teachers Danielle Daniel and Mindy Lacefield.  They were inaugural attendees of the first AAJ retreat in 2009 and I clearly recall when I first met them, standing there in the Assembly room.  I told them then that there was something very special about them, as anyone who has met them can attest to.  Danielle had stories to tell that were just clamoring to get out, and Mindy's artwork was so unique and had such a personal style to it.  They've both created amazing art careers and I'm absolutely thrilled that they'll be returning, this time as seasoned instructors.  I know their class will be very popular, as it combines both of their unique talents and personalities as well.  This class is going to be fun, fun, fun—check it out here!


And then there's DJ, whom I've known for about 10 years, and who has become a very dear friend and co-conspirator in all things creative.  We first 'met' when I emailed her after having seen her work online at her local stamp store, and the rest is history.  We are convinced that we are sisters separated at birth, as there is just no other explanation for the shenanigans that ensue when we're together.
She has become an integral part of the Journey, and her influence and creative contributions are invaluable.  I'm heading up to her WA home in early September for our annual brainstorming/arting session where I snatch ideas and hope some tiny bit of her creativity rubs off on me we plan for the upcoming retreat.  We spend a LOT of time laughing and bouncing ideas all over the place; it's really the best form of therapy!  Her class will undoubtedly fill quickly, as it does every year, so I encourage you to take a look here, and then be ready for registration opening next Monday at 7pm Pacific time!

So there you have it—six extraordinary instructors, and five of the best workshops around!  AAJ has become an annual tradition for many, and I look forward to seeing old friends, and to welcoming those who are joining us for the first time.  See you on Monday!
A Bird in the Hand

A Bird in the Hand


No comments: